JE Dunn Construction has been a leader in the commercial construction industry since 1924, providing general contracting, design-build, and construction management services primarily for vertical construction projects. Headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, JE Dunn has 22 offices nationwide and over 2,500 employees. It is the 11th largest domestic general building contractor in the United States, generating over $3 billion in revenue last year.
Information technology is tightly integrated with JE Dunn’s business strategy, “Our IT team provides trusted, innovative technologies that enable our executive management, project teams and clients to advance transformational business solutions,” said Jason Hull, Senior Systems Manager.
Hull manages a team that is responsible for data protection and data center operations, supporting 2,500 employees and over 50,000 accounts. “We empower lean processes at our construction sites with technology, enabling our teams and partners to be more collaborative and productive. On top of that, we’re committed to providing stability, availability and performance,” added Hull. “Rubrik is a crucial part of achieving that strategy.”
It was evident in choosing Rubrik that we’d be gaining more than just backup and recovery. We’d also be enabling orchestration and automation, in addition to providing a high level of resiliency in the event of data loss or a disaster.
- Lengthy recovery times with tape
- Inability to automate workflows with legacy solution
- Inability to protect Office 365
- 62% TCO savings
- 90% management time savings
- 75% reduction in data center footprint
- Reduced recovery times (from hrs to mins)
- Single policy engine to automate backup and recovery
- Fast recovery
- API-driven integration with VMware vSphere and reporting workflows
- Office 365 protection for full control and quick restores
Management complexity and poor performance with legacy solution
Prior to Rubrik, it was challenging for JE Dunn to protect its 99% virtualized environment with aging, tape-centric software.
“As we began to evaluate new vendors, we wanted a solution that was disrupting the backup and recovery industry. Rubrik was our unanimous choice,” said Hull. “It was evident in choosing Rubrik that we’d be gaining more than just backup and recovery. We’d also be enabling orchestration and automation, in addition to providing a high level of resiliency in the event of data loss or a disaster.”
With our previous solution, it could take hours to recover. With Rubrik, we’re able to satisfy most requests in less than 10 minutes.
Driving automation with Rubrik’s API-first architecture
“One of our key drivers in choosing Rubrik was its API-first architecture. It was a perfect fit for our automation-centric approach,” said Hull. “We are currently leveraging Rubrik’s APIs to consolidate our executive dashboards into one reporting platform, as well as surfacing business continuity RTO/RPO information for seamless data center operations.”
“On top of that, Rubrik’s API playground was very helpful when our team was generating code for database recovery. These APIs allow our less technical engineers to work with Rubrik and provide even more value to the business,” added Hull.
Rubrik’s API playground was very helpful when our team was generating code for database recovery. These APIs allow our less technical engineers to work with Rubrik and provide even more value to the business.
Adopting a software-defined data center with VMware vSphere and Rubrik
JE Dunn is looking to fully embrace the ethos of a true software-defined data center (SDDC). VMware has long provided this with vSphere, a hypervisor that disrupted the data center space and continues to innovate every year.
A main concept of SDDC is a true software fabric that can be programmatically controlled. By combining Rubrik’s RESTful APIs with VMware automation, JE Dunn can systematically apply SLA policies across the data center.
Additionally, JE Dunn is working to enable self-sufficiency across the organization and remove IT as the bottleneck. Hull and team can achieve this by allowing developers to automatically spin up live mount copies of VMs for testing and enabling business or VM owners to instantly restore workloads as needed.
By combining Rubrik’s RESTful APIs with VMware automation, JE Dunn can systematically apply SLA policies across the data center.
Quick recoveries and full control with office 365 protection
JE Dunn is also protecting Microsoft Office 365 with Rubrik’s Polaris SaaS platform. “Exchange Online gives us the ability to configure Retention Policies; however, we do not consider this approach data protection due to the design of Retention Policies. Like Retention Policies, we do not feel that Office 365 Litigation Hold provides our business with true data protection for emails. There are scenarios in which we simply wouldn’t be able to recover emails with the native tools provided by Office 365,” said Hull.
“Shortly after the implementation of Rubrik’s Office 365 backup solution, we realized several scenarios wherein the Rubrik solution improved recovery efforts which further reduced business risk of our Office 365 email solution,” added Hull. Additional benefits include:
- Lightning-fast setup: “Setting up Rubrik’s Office 365 integration was quick and simple. It only took 5 minutes to build and apply the SLA to our user mailboxes and shared mailboxes.”
- Quick restores: “We were able to improve our email restoration capability to improve response. One scenario resulted in the hard delete of an email inbox, resulting in a significant resource recovery effort. With Rubrik, we were able to quickly restore the 20 GB inbox and keep related project operations on schedule. This was a big win for our team and JE Dunn as a business; we avoided unnecessary project risk with Rubrik’s Office 365 protection.”
- Full control: “With Rubrik Polaris for Office 365, all of our data remains in our Azure subscription. This is absolutely crucial because it gives us complete control of where our data is stored.”
- Management time savings: “Previously, if we had to recover an email, our team would have to first check if the email was older than 30 days. With Rubrik, we can skip that step because we know our emails are protected and can easily recover our data if necessary.”
Significant management time savings and high performance with Rubrik
JE Dunn uses Rubrik extensively to protect their applications