Challenges with NAS Backup Alternatives
Traditional NAS backup methods with scale-out appliances and NDMP enforce vendor lock-in, lower performance, and higher TCO.
NDMP: Backup Performance at Scale
Backup window is too long due to periodic full backup requirements, increasing RPO SLA failure rates.
NDMP: Index and Recovery Performance
Slow indexing creates bottlenecks on the infrastructure; without indexing and granular restores, recovery time is lengthy.
Scale-Out Backup Appliances: Higher TCO
Being locked in with storage provided by scale-out backup appliances results in higher TCO.
Our Unique Approach
A Modern, Vendor-Agnostic Approach to NAS
Our non-NDMP design is the foundation of our vendor-agnostic approach to NAS
Rubrik protects NAS data in a generic format, enabling cross-platform archival and recovery anywhere across public or private cloud. Migrate your NAS data to any storage tier of choice to avoid vendor lock-in or drive storage savings for long-term retention.
Being able to manage our NAS archives within Rubrik’s intuitive environment provides better and more transparent protection for our growing NAS environments and allows us to reap the benefits of scalability and cost efficiencies in the cloud.
The Buyer's Guide to Backup & Recovery
A comprehensive, vendor-neutral backup & recovery buyer's guide to help you think through the strengths and weaknesses of backup & recovery solutions available today.
Benefits with the Rubrik Approach
Orchestrate petabytes of NAS data – such as animation, video, and design files - across on-prem and cloud with Rubrik's NAS Direct Archive.
Autodiscover NAS data for quick setup. Indexed metadata enables fast search across on-prem and cloud with granular, file-level recovery.
Minimize storage and egress costs with incremental-forever backups. Rubrik only stores metadata while sending files directly to your archival location.
How It Works
NAS Solution at a Glance
- Mount NAS volumes directly onto Rubrik – no proxies required. All data is captured in its native format.
- Rubrik leverages vendor-native snapshot and file change APIs (e.g. Isilon ChangeList and NetApp SnapDiff) for point-in-time consistency and up to 10x faster file system scans.
- Rubrik delivers parallel ingest and incremental-forever snapshots for fast backup performance.
- Automate backup and archival schedules via one SLA policy engine. Assign SLAs at the fileset level.
- Instantly discover data with predictive search. Unlock cloud for cost effective long-term retention.
- Restore files in-place or to an alternate NAS platform to avoid vendor-lock in.
Get in touch
- We'll connect you with the local sales team
- Our reps will help set up a meeting for an overview and demo
- Leverage our team to learn about specific features or solutions